Feb 16, 2013

Zombies... Really?

Posted by Unknown


ZOMBIES…  REALLY?

I admit it. I’m not into zombies. The thought of someone (live or dead) eating my flesh gives me the willies. I’m a science fiction fan of the highest order. Zombies have never been part of my repertoire. Vampires? Yes, if the story doesn’t dwell on the bloody part. Classy, or sexy… that’s what I like, not blood and guts.

Why am I talking about zombies then? You have to understand; my family is big into movies and TV series.  Recently “The Walking Dead” had entered our conversation, as these things do. The show had received good reviews throughout all three seasons. Never having seen it, I had asked the stupid question of how much flesh eating went on in the show. The response I got back was that it wasn’t about the ‘flesh eating’ but about the relationship of the survivors, and how they changed to cope with the situation at hand.  The mistake came when I admitted to my aversion to the genre.
                                                            
(I will admit here that I did see “Slither”, but it’s not technically classified as a zombie movie even with its b rating.)  


From there they made a trip to the local video store to rent “Shaun of the Dead” insisting that I needed to be educated.

 “It’s a Comedy,” they said.  “Hardly any of the zombie stuff at all.”

And I believed them.


Let’s just say, I didn’t sleep well that night. Dreams of zombies filled my head, and not the comedic kind.  When I told them the next morning about my bad night, they all laughed. I wasn’t impressed at all, but I brushed it off as a learning experience. After all, we had a great day planned ahead. So I left all thoughts of zombies behind as we headed over the mountain pass to the beach.

All was good. After a lunch of battered gurnard and chips, we perused the surf shops and artsy stores before heading back to the car to go to the local black-sand beach.  

 And then… I saw it.
I’m not making this up. I had to read the logo on the side of the van twice! Was this a coincidence? I think not.

Zombies aren’t real... right? 








0 comments:


/*Wrap text around image ----------------------------------------------- */ .left { float: left; margin: 6px; } .right { float: right; margin: 6px; }